default avatar

Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 7:57:48 AM

If Brady was named coach, could he turn Ryken's program around?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 8:32:21 AM
@mrmichaelny

Are you just wondering? Or is he a candidate? 

default avatar

Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 8:36:19 AM
@theguru

He is a canidate

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 9:58:32 AM
@mrmichaelny

Define "turn around".....win the WCAC as structured now?....NO.

Compete in the lower division of the WCAC if it is restructured? Absolutely

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 10:12:42 AM
@smdeagles

They won one game last year. Particpation was low as well.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/10/2017 1:08:47 PM
@smdeagles

SMD, just 3 seasons ago they went 2-1 v WCAC beating Carroll and WCAC playoff team Bishop McNamara handily. They only lost to WCAC Champion DeMatha by 9 that same year. In their first true year in the WCAC (2015) they did only go 1-6 but 4 of those loses (if memory serves) were by a TD or less. W a respected coach (not a knock on Jerry Franks, not a thumbs up to Aaron Brady) who can recruit, they could get over the hump. They have some things other WCAC programs do not - land for one. They can build. And seeing as how they compete w virtually no one in the area (theoretically) for students, they might get good quick. I am not saying they will ever be an SJC (unless they start taking in every kid that Prep kicks out and strikes it rich on one of them) but they could be a solid four seed year in and year out. 

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken

2/11/2017 1:09:39 PM
@NewDC_Jon
I Agree

Agreed, Ryken is interesting in that it could recruit from a very large, albeit less populated, area that does not have another Catholic HS football team and limited other private school options.  However, it will take some money, a bunch of recruiting, and good coach.  Not sure they could compete at the top without completly selling their soul for football greatness - and nor should they.

default avatar

Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/10/2017 1:52:29 PM

I think a younger coach with a bit more upbeat offense and personality who can get kids recruited will keep kids from the surrounding areas from going to other schools. Ryken is a pretty good school academically wise. I think one of their problems was getting kids into college compared to say a Riverdale, which isn't close academically . Flint Hills running back Jordan Houston lives in Waldorf. If Brady or maybe even the coach that got fired from McNamara can change the atmosphere, they may have something.

default avatar

Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/10/2017 8:52:08 PM
@mrmichaelny

Will they compete with DM? no

Will they compete with SJC? NO

Will they compete with GZ? No...not as long as Trivers is there

Will they compete with GC? No

Will they compete with BMC? Yes

If battleling BMC and whoever in the big four is having a bad year for the last playoff spot is turning the program around then yes.  Land means nothing (see Dematha and Gonzaga). Their stadium is fine now. They do have an area to themselves but not a very well populated area. They could be the equal to BMC year in and year out but they are not far from that now.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/11/2017 1:30:27 PM
@smdeagles

Herein lies the flaw w oversimplifying things like this - BMac has beaten SJC 2 of the past 3 years. Gonzaga was in the dumps 5-6 years ago. No one knows the future of OLGC football w some of the $$ there drying up. The big two athletics sports in the WCAC are fairly cyclical. Sure there is one major outlier - DeMatha in hoops and football, but even they were supplanted by OLGC in football for a while and SJC in hoops. So, if they could be the equal of BMC year in and out, and the rest of the WCAC ebbs and flows in football (as all but DeMatha have really) they could be in the mix for a 2-3 seed many years. Not too shabby. And frankly I don't see how they couldnt easly be a superior to a BMac in athletics. 1. They beat a BMac football team in 2014 that was far better than the 2016 itteration of the program. 2. The campus is far nicer. 3. The academics are better. 4. There is room for the school to grow where they are - not true of BMac in Forrestville. 

And, land means something when it comes to creating room for more students. I wasn't thinking of a new stadium. I was thinking of additional classroom space or dormitories (if looking to start a boarding program as means of attracting individuals). Looking at gonzaga and dematha sort of illustrates that. Gonzaga's football stadium isnt all that much bigger than the one they had, but how they built it (with parking underneath for one) gave them greater flexibility. Frankly, the school's incredibly intelligent use of space has allowed for it to accomodate so many students. DeMatha's convocation center mirrors that - it was built with accomodating more students in mind as well as improving athletics facilities. OLGC couldnt do that w the facility/land they had, so they moved to a spot where they could grow. SMR wouldn't have to move. That would save a ton of $$ on building if looking to increase enrollment. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/11/2017 11:43:06 PM
@NewDC_Jon

A lot of "if's" in that post.....we will have to see. I do not see it happening. SMR program is on the declinr not upswing. Don't see how Brady changes that.

default avatar

2/12/2017 2:07:10 PM
@smdeagles

They could compete will all these teams just three years ago. Kids are now going to the school where they feel will put them in college. The WCAC is one of the best conferences in the nation. Saying they won't beat St. John and DeMatha isn't saying that much in terms of turning the program around. Ryken can pull kids from Charles County, PG County, St. Mary, and Calvert. 

default avatar

Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/13/2017 8:32:08 AM

I thought i had heard Ryken has left/leaving the WCAC for Football only starting with the 2017 season.....so whether they can compete with the other WCAC teams with a new coach may be a moot point......

Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/13/2017 9:07:39 AM
@araiderfan

Care to share where you got that info?  That'd probably be news to most people on this site.

default avatar

2/13/2017 9:24:41 AM
@FrankCurry

This coming season, Ryken will not play in the WCAC for football. The only teams they will play from the WCAC will be Carroll and McNamara. The schedule looks pretty competitive for them with teams like Bullis, Avalon, Mt. St. Joseph, Pallotti, and other like teams. Then in 2018 they will start the 2 division conference with the A&B. It looks like all the teams will be back in the WCAC from VA.

default avatar

2/13/2017 9:27:13 AM
@mrmichaelny

....and there you have it.....

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down

2/20/2017 10:15:19 PM
@mrmichaelny

I hope so, it'd be best for the conference.  Although, it would be great if there was a news release or some written press - the WCAC A/B conference has been promised before...

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Brady to Ryken?

2/25/2017 8:06:02 AM
@FrankCurry

Yeah, that would be great. I'm not sure why they haven't. I mean I haven't even heard any press news that Ryken will not be in the WCAC for next season, but I have seen the schedule.

You must login to report abuse. Close