default avatar

DCSAA

2/16/2017 10:31:05 AM

I remember a couple of years ago, some folks were up in arms about this DCSAA thing as it related to basketball/football, but many failed to realize that this was for all sports to include all DC high schools.. 

I think that the formation of this was always a good idea, it brings publicity to an otherwise unnoticed high school sports scene aside from gonzaga and st johns... lol

what u guys think??

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: DCSAA

2/16/2017 11:02:17 AM
@macanthony1982

For individual athletes the DCSAA "state" playoffs have been largely a good thing. Kids get to extend their season, play for a "championship" (even if it is watered down) and more teams are included. The flip side is, the creation of the DCSAA has further exposed the gross incompetence of administrators in the DCIAA and DCSAA. From coaches not getting paid, to illegal recruiting activities, to an inability to effectively monitor who is and is not eligible, to administrators stealing money ... the DCSAA has only seemed to increase the bad behavior of the adults in charge, or at least shed more light on it. Perhaps that would be a good thing were the bad behavior decline as a result, but that hasn't been the case. But again, for the kids who get a play a couple more games and compete for a trophy, overall a good thing. 

default avatar

Re: Re: DCSAA

2/16/2017 12:28:45 PM
@NewDC_Jon

DCIAA and DCSAA are independent of each other...   what u are talkin of, is an issue within DCIAA(DC Public Schools) not DCSAA..

DCSAA has never shown to be incompetenet..   unfortanately that is DCIAA all by themselves..  but they do have a new administrator, a lady who used to rum NY Public High School Leagues

dont kno of it being waterd down when the whole idea is for it to include ALL DC schools only. just like VA has theirs and MD has theirs...

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/16/2017 2:43:57 PM
@macanthony1982

All good points by New DC John.

Any organization that invites a 0-10 team (Carroll) to its football championship tournament is, by definition, watered-down.    I fully expect both the Lion's boys and girls basketball teams, currently sporting a combined 1-42 record, to be receiving their DCSAA invititations in the mail any day now.   Then we can talk about true incompetence by the DCSAA.    

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/16/2017 3:13:49 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

now that i can agree with..   dont know how that was possible in football for an 0-10 team (Carroll) to be even qualified...   the DCSAA does a better job in basketball and all other sports when completeing playoff seedings...

default avatar

2/16/2017 4:32:33 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

Wasnt that already covered on this site as to why ABC was invted?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/16/2017 5:23:03 PM
@macanthony1982

I understand that the two are, to an extent, independent of one another. That said, the DCSAA has really shown itself to be incompetent as a governing body for athletics relative its peers in other states. It is why, as recently as this winter, creating yet another layer of governance for DC HS sports was discussed: the D.C. State Athletics Commission at an additional cost of 400K a year. Don't get me wrong, the DCSAA has done far better than the DCIAA. They actually created transfer regs and recruiting rules. But, all of their responses have been reactive, rather than proactive. That is not the sign of a competent body. If it were, another layer of bureaucracy would not even be suggested. 

default avatar

2/16/2017 6:56:02 PM
@NewDC_Jon

To clear up this issue...Football...Carroll was invited before the season to particiate, as was Friendship. There are Two teams that play football on the "AA" level besides DCIAA "Stars" teams and that is Frienshio and Carroll with the exculsion of St. John's and Gonzaga. I would assume you would have opted at the end of the season to say, I know we said you were going to play Frienship before the season started but since you are 0-10, sorry you out and Friendship you advance. As an adminstartion, once that was issued before the season regardless of the what happend you had to stick with the result. 

The mission of the DCSAA is to address regualtions and conduct championships to include all schools. Things are reactive, the rules are set and once those rules are violated it is the DCSAA who have to issues rulings. Leagues and issue rulings that are harsher and school's can appeal to the DCSAA for rulings. Once people start looking at the DCSAA as the "STATE" governing body as they would for other states then the separation would be clear. The new commission is to further clear up who has legal governing authority over athletics in DC, not an additional layer but to make a clear line between who governs DCIAA, DCPCS and others in regards to athletics. When the DCSAA was created there was no legistation that made that determination so leagues felt they could interupt the rules as they saw fit. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/17/2017 8:56:08 AM
@coachbennett

Yeah, I'm not the one who brought up Carroll.

Also, I've never seen a sports conference of any kind in the past 20 years (including start-ups) that has had to be as reactive as the DCSAA. It is precisely why the new "state" commission would take control of the D.C. State Athletic Association and establish athletics panels to hear and issue final decisions on appeals related to student-athlete eligibility at member schools. And, yes it absolutely would create another layer of governance - the establishment of an athletics panel to hear and issue final decisions. If the DCSAA were doing its job effectively the City Council would simply have to pass a bill that says "The DCSAA is the supreme governing body for sports and the DCIAA has to listen to it" (which this bill is also doing to an extent). But even the City Council realizes Clark Ray and the DCSAA can't get out of its own way, hence the need for yet another layer of governance. 

Again, it is an improvement over what existed previously and in many respects better for the kids in DCPS and DCPCS. But to pretend it is a compentent administrative body is to not know what a competent administrative body looks like. 

default avatar

2/16/2017 7:02:34 PM
@NewDC_Jon

To clear up this issue...Football...Carroll was invited before the season to participate, as was Friendship. There are Two teams that play football on the "AA" level besides DCIAA "Stars" teams and that is Friendship and Carroll with the exclusion of St. John's and Gonzaga. I would assume you would have opted at the end of the season to say, I know we said you were going to play Friendship before the season started but since you are 0-10, sorry you out and Friendship you advance. As an administration, once that was issued before the season regardless of what happened you had to stick with the result. 

The mission of the DCSAA is to address regulations and conduct championships to include all schools. Things are reactive, the rules are set and once those rules are violated it is the DCSAA who have to issues rulings. Leagues and issue rulings that are harsher and schools can appeal to the DCSAA for rulings. Once people start looking at the DCSAA as the "STATE" governing body as they would for other states then the separation would be clear. The new commission is to further clear up who has legal governing authority over athletics in DC, not an additional layer but to make a clear line between who governs DCIAA, DCPCS and others in regards to athletics. When the DCSAA was created there was no legislation that made that determination so leagues felt they could interpret the rules as they saw fit. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/21/2017 12:56:43 PM
@coachbennett

there has been one already put in place back in 2013...

https://osse.dc.gov/release/dc-state-athletic-association-announces-advisory-board-appeals-panel

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/21/2017 2:35:08 PM
@macanthony1982

These are different in scope. The appeals panel has not changed and the advisory group still advises on matters related to rules. What the CC put in place is legislation that clearly defines and regulates athletes in DC. NHFS only recognize DCSAA as the governing body, however the language that was in the DC Municipal Record was not clear. What the CC did was try and address this issue and define how legislative functions of athletics in DC would be handled. Moving forward if all leagues and member schools work together athletics in DC can come together and become better. The goal is not to make athletics the about the have and have nots, but to try and make competition comparable. If you look at other states private schools generally don’t participate if they give athletic scholarships because public schools could offer that kind of incentive or you have different divisions based on school population or some other matrix. I think that is what the DCSAA is trying to do, make it a balanced as possible while still giving as mean student athletes a chance to compete for a championship. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCSAA

2/21/2017 6:11:42 PM
@coachbennett

good point..

but different divisions for such a small area as DC is; its not like there are 250 high schools in DC as there is in MD for example..  I think the way it is, seems fine of course with more "tweaking" it will be better..   like for example, look at the sport of mens basketball, since the formation of the DCSAA there have been like 3 or 4 different winners (parity)*. so there may be no need for divisions, prbably create more confusion... lol

You must login to report abuse. Close