>>

SJC "Firesale?"

>>
View:
Sort:
default avatar

SJC "Firesale?"

2/17/2017 1:13:31 PM

Over on the Baltimore Sun forums several posters, including our old friend Greyhoundalum, threw out that SFA is currently cleaning up on bringing in transfers and apparently SJC is about to lose some of their b-more kids because they and their families are not happy with the coach. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? 

I'm clearly not an SJC fan as you all know, mainly because I don't like the smell of a burning dumpster, but this is a serious question. You'd have to admit that it would be pretty ironic if SJC's attempt build a nationally recognized program fell through for the same reason it started to rise: transfers.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/17/2017 2:01:28 PM
@kjj348

Also, just gotta say, if you are ever bored, check out their forums. Some of those baltimore folk are quite ... special...

For a good laugh and look at someone who clearly wasn't hugged enough as a child, keep an eye out for Daywalker's posts. 

default avatar

Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/18/2017 12:28:13 AM
@kjj348

He is a complete idiot.  The constant third person reference stuff is just an indication of his obvious bi-polar disorder. He dodges serious questions by throwing flames at people over the silliest comments.  He is a total private school, DC hater at any expense tool. And he reads this site as he loves to bash it and often refers to a few handles here.   

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 4:29:53 PM
@Falcon83

Yes to everything you wrote. 

default avatar

2/20/2017 6:57:25 PM
@kjj348

If you follow his posting closely, you can find that there are some serious issues going on. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to double guess myself for calling him out.

default avatar

2/20/2017 8:00:46 PM
@silverbullet

Agreed. He is as crazy as a guy who has a Twitter handle dedicated to calzones. Oddly specific I know, but Daywalker's posts warrant that kind of specificity. 

default avatar

2/18/2017 7:37:53 AM
@kjj348

I wouldn't be surprised. The new coach, big Joe is worthless, SJC was better off with little Joe. No one likes the guy, Plank made a huge mistake bringing him in. I haven't heard about kids leaving but they probably should. 

default avatar

2/19/2017 11:14:26 AM
@Crazy

You are "crazy"...I know several SJC parents/players and all like him. He has made them very competitive playing a national schedule and has them on the verge of winning the WCAC championship. And he has done a great job with his players and college scholarships. No coach can make every player/parent happy but there is no "firesale" going on at SJC...just wishful thinking by the haters.

default avatar

2/20/2017 7:17:01 AM
@tor

Well, as you once so thoughtfully wrote: hatters are going to hate.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 9:03:38 AM
@kjj348

I remember when someone made that comment...it was pretty funny...but it wasn't me...but what do you care...just makes you wrong again...something I'm sure you have gotten used to over the years...more alternate facts from the chief hater.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 1:15:21 PM
@tor

Ohhhh yeah...  You were the one who said you would no longer be responding to me.... glad that worked out for you.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 3:46:23 PM
@kjj348

Lol...you got me there...I held out a pretty long time but when you resorted to false accusations I couldn't resist...and I actually wondered if you were trolling me or just plain stupid ...or both...lol.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 3:57:41 PM
@tor

Btw...the last time SJC and Gonzaga competed in football, basketball, baseball and wrestling the Cadets were victorious. And St. John's is the current champ in the latter three and runners-up in football...not too shabby. Now tell me about your school's success in lax and the country club sports...lol.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 8:52:58 PM
@tor

Soccer, widely played throughout the world, and especially popular south of the Equator is a "country club sport"? Track is a "country club sport"? Rugby, same? Wow, what a sad, small minded view you have towards athletics. 

And what a short-sighted view you have as well. Sure, the last time Gonzaga and SJC competed in football SJC won. What about the time before that (a few weeks prior)? And what about the previous two seasons? I believe the two programs split the results over 14 and 15. For a school that has literately nothing to hang its hat on outside of minimal athletic succes like SJC does, it would seem you would have more to brag about that some (very) recent outcomes. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/20/2017 9:58:44 PM
@NewDC_Jon

I apologize...you guys do dominate the important sports ...alumni: "we are great in the two mile relay"...8th graders:"I'm going there because they have a great rugby team"...parents: "I can't wait to see where we're ranked in soccer this week"... my bad...lol.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/21/2017 6:49:57 AM
@tor

Look man, you can say whatever you want about wins this year because while you are right about the past handful of games, your reasoning is so Trumpian that it doesn't even upset me. I won't go into the past records, or list alumni (btw, if I did list Gonzaga's famous alumni, you wouldn't see students that were kicked out of their first school as two of our top 3) I will just say this: Other than those who know their kid couldn't hack it or are living vicariously through their child, there is not a parent in this area who would send their kid to SJC over Gonzaga/DM if given the choice. Why do you think SJC is recruiting so heavily outside of the area?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/21/2017 11:04:07 AM
@tor

To be more accurate, these are more likely comments one would hear: (Gonzaga) alumni: "We are better than or on par with St. John's in every sport outside of baseball and our academics are far better."... 8th graders (going to St. John's who are male): "I'm going there because I couldn't get in to Gonzaga and my parents don't value my education."... parents (of Gonzaga students): "I can't wait to see where we're ranked in US News and World this year."

Your bad indeed. 

default avatar

2/18/2017 7:01:03 PM
@kjj348

SJC will be fine. They are the hot program now for kids in youth football. They have kids lined up to go there. St. Francis really recruits hard in DC. Since they board there they can grab a kid or two out of the DMV.

2/20/2017 8:37:13 PM
@smdeagles

They board at SFA?  I looked at their website, and the only dorms I see are for homeless Batlimore males.

default avatar

2/20/2017 7:17:58 PM
@kjj348

SFA and SJC are going head to head with transfers right now and it's getting absurd. It's much more quiet this offseason because these transfers are not just from Gilman, but from way out of area in some cases. SFA will be the Montrose Christian of MD football. Those guys will help a bunch of football players get to the next level, but when Poggi leaves, the school will barely be able to fill seats again. I have no clue what the MIAA is going to do about it, but whenever you bring up SFA being asked to leave the conference on the Baltimore forum you better get ready for a heated race debate.

The Clowney transfer is not a big deal for SJC. They already have a DE that just signed with Notre Dame and can fill the other spot most likely with a transfer. Basically, don't feel sorry for SJC. They are currently doing some serious work on the national transfer market and I'm not talking about the senior 4 star QB they just took in. Now if the LB Lee bolts back to Baltimore, they should start to worry. I believe he is the #1 junior ILB in the country. Clowney hasn't really done much at all and would be a non story without the last name.

default avatar

2/21/2017 8:40:16 AM
@silverbullet

The 4 star QB transfer from Malvern isn't very good. In fact he was benched last year. 

The poster who said they talked to SJC parents and that they love the coach, is an obvious SJC plant. I've talked to multiple parents and not one said they were happy with this new coach and that they like the direction of the program. 

You will have multiple transfers, and big ones. Mark my words. Yes, you have some OOS transfers coming, like the linemen from Utah. But that's because of Plank and the illusion that he actually cares about the program, outside of donating. This new coach got the job not because he was a Good coach, but because he has a working relationship with Plank. He's way in over his head. 

default avatar

2/21/2017 9:48:23 AM
@GREYHOUNDALUM

Maybe you should worry more about your once great, now pitiful program and less about others that you know nothing about. And apparently you are more of a talent scout than the dozen D1 schools that have offered him a scholarship...lol.

default avatar

2/21/2017 9:58:24 AM
@tor

Gilman could have 20 years of losing and still have a better program than SJC. Better to have been a once great program, than a NEVER GREAT PROGRAM! And when the kids start dropping like flies, remember where you heard it first! SJC can't even buy a Championship, watch your mouth when mentioning a legendary program.  

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

2/21/2017 11:05:50 AM
@GREYHOUNDALUM

To be fair, Gilman could have 40 years of losing and still have a better program than SJC. Throw in the fact that compared to Gilman, SJC's academics are a laughable joke, and any SJC homer looking to talk crap about Gilman looks like a complete fool. 

default avatar

2/21/2017 11:45:05 AM
@tor

Guess you'll be living in the past for many years to come while being a basement dweller in the MIAA...at least you won't be burdened by too much" color ".

default avatar

2/23/2017 11:50:34 AM
@tor

Speaking of living in the past, remember when you started a thread dedicated to my posts that was so devoid of fact (or general worth) that it was deleted within twenty minutes? what a shame.

default avatar

2/23/2017 12:52:10 PM
@kjj348

I member. Member Chewbacca?

default avatar

2/23/2017 10:32:43 PM
@kjj348

Here's what I remember: Your school has 3 championships in 57 years...none in the last 15 and is 5-10 against SJC the last 15 meetings. And dropped out of the league in '79-'80 like the Virginia schools you love to bash.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC "Firesale?"

2/24/2017 8:23:33 AM
@tor

Well, the WCAC is far from 57 years old so that statement is at best misleading. And I will admit I am not the best at math, but was 2002-03 more than 15 years ago? I guess what  I am saying is your memory is pretty bad.

What I know is that the wcac didn’t exist in 79-80, and that Gonzaga never had to choose between going co-ed or shutting its doors due to a lack of interest…

default avatar

2/17/2017 10:04:59 PM

He literally refers to himself in the third person.  Of course if I were him I wouldn't want to say "I" or "me" either.  

FWIW, rumour has it that St. John's is playing:  IMG, St. John Bosco, De La Salle, St. Joseph's Regional and DeMatha among others.

St. John Bosco is reportedly coming here.  They are the defending California state champions.  Another rumour:  Florida's American Heritage Plantation will also come here to play DeMatha (who are playing defending national champion Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas).  AHP beat IMG in a preseason game the week before DeMatha beat them at home in 2015.

Huge, huge upcoming season for DC area football.

default avatar

2/19/2017 11:38:13 AM
@BigDrop

I asked some St.John's people and it sounds like the rumor is accurate. May be the toughest schedule in the country...and if the DeMatha part is true then these two WCAC teams are playing 4 or 5 top ten caliber teams...plus each other. What an opportunity to show what DC area football is all about. 

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

2/21/2017 1:24:45 PM
@tor

If by DC area you mean DC plus transfers from: Philly, Utah, Upstate NY, Baltimore etc. then yea. This is a great opportunity to show what DC Area football is all about. 

default avatar

2/21/2017 11:54:42 AM

How does St. John's handle housing for transfers?  I understand perhaps an individual transfer but if three players are moving here from 2000+ miles away where will they live?  Does SJC have any intention of building dorms similar to IMG or is this just an off campus house (s) where the players can live with host families?

2/21/2017 12:51:31 PM
@BigDrop

I believe SJC has plans to build dorms on/near campus in the coming years.

default avatar

2/21/2017 12:56:33 PM
@stone

yea. good luck with that. I hear the people in that multi-million dollar neighborhood are completely in support of it! LOL.

default avatar

2/21/2017 2:59:38 PM
@BigDrop

They don't have to handle housing...despite all the rhetoric and whining on this board about out of state transfers the fact is last year's team had one transfer who did not live in the DC/Baltimore area and that was the big tackle from Florida whose family moved here. Can't believe everything you hear...especially when it's spewed by fans of other teams who can't handle SJC being better than their team.

default avatar

2/21/2017 3:38:01 PM
@tor

First, the DC/Baltimore area isn't quite an area when you are considering schools. There is zero reason for a kid to transfer from a Baltimore school to a DC school for their junior/senior year if their family isn't moving away from Baltimore. It is hard enough for kids who live in Olney to get to SJC, let alone anyone living north of MOCO or in Baltimore city. 

Second, are you saying that SJC does not have a transfer QB coming in from PA (their second senior transfer in as many years)? Are yousaying they don't have transfers coming from Utah or other states?

Third, no one has a problem with SJC being better than them. People have a problem with how they are doing it. I don't expect you to understand the difference, but the fact is it makes the school look bad, it makes the league look bad, and it is a basic admission by the coaching staff that they either lack the patience to develop talent, or they lack the skill. My bet is both.

default avatar

2/21/2017 6:55:00 PM
@tor

1-2 vs. Bishop McNamara in the past three seasons and you think you are in a position to talk trash to anyone. That is rich. 

default avatar

2/21/2017 7:33:28 PM
@tor

You may want to pipe down with the OOS transfer talk. If you knew what was going down this offseason, you would know that its not a great look. Last year wasn't really that outrageous with the phone calls made to coaches of other schools by SJC "friends of the program" for possible transfers. If you want GreyhoundAlum to expand on that, ask him. I suggest you walk away though...

I really don't have that big of a problem with SJC becoming a national power by means of transfer. Its tacky as hell, but it makes the WCAC much more legit(the SJR and CC wins were awesome). Ideally, I would like Plank to take the Good Counsel route to supremacy with someone like Milloy at the helm, taking your lumps and building from the bottom up. Yea that route takes balls, but it's much less sleazy and SJC wouldn't get the "eye roll" treatment when handed a trophy, possibly.

default avatar

2/21/2017 9:18:11 PM
@silverbullet

There are limits to OOS transfers:  IMG is not involved in any Florida playoffs.  If St. John's is attempting to emulate, even partially the model that IMG has started I believe it is bad for the local and national image of the WCAC.

I have no problem with area transfers and even one or two OOS transfers a year as well as recruiting the best talent that the almost 10 million population Baltimore-Washington area has.  But multiple "long distance" transfers create a negative national impression.  I deeply respect a successful program built locally where almost all of the players are developed from the 9th grade.  

I passionately rooted for St. John's when they beat IMG 35-2.  If St. John's is, indeed, recruiting nationally I will yell that much louder for DeMatha when they play.

default avatar

2/21/2017 8:08:23 PM

@Tor

You may wish to cease and desist.   You will get nowhere with any of these people.  They hate your school.   And if you went there, they hate you, too.  

And keep the OOS transfer topic to yourself.   The best football player ever to play in the DC Catholic League was an out of state transfer.   But knowing factual information is not necessarily the goal.

Don’t look to educate or clarify, as you will only hear derisive comments and insults.  You certainly won’t learn anything enlightening from some of them.   That’s not his/her intent.   Don’t shrink to that level.   It will make you like just like him/her, dumb(ster).    

default avatar

2/21/2017 11:57:56 PM
@WMAC Time

Who might that be? And did they come with 11 other compatriots during their junior/senior year? Because that is what SJC is doing. They are not letting a kid in whose family just moved. They are not even bringing in those one or two guys who may be able to help the program and get some exposure in their final HS years. They are bringing in, wholesale, enough guys to replace multiple starters, guys who are not underclassmen, guys who have offers. Go ahead with your false equivalencies, but know that you are funadamentally mistaken in your comparison. The stuff SJC has pulled off in the last two years in unprecedented in the WCAC and frankly, the fact that they couldn't take home a championship this year, let alone keep their losses to DM only, shows you just how much they are going to need to step up their transfer game this season to buy a banner.

default avatar

2/22/2017 2:22:29 PM
@kjj348

Though not my intention, the comment about unequal comparison is proper criticism.   But my experience gives me the foundation to say that your fav institution has gone to great lengths to attempt to admit transfers, but the numbers are significantly lower becuase it will not stretch the admissions requirements for transfers.   But it has been attempted a multitude of times in the last half decade.  

Celebrate the lack of success of the approach of using flood of transfers.   It provides a much more founded approach than just blasting the school because you dont like it. 

default avatar

2/22/2017 3:30:36 PM
@WMAC Time

So what you are saying is:

-that  Gonzaga has had coaches/people involved with the school who have tried to get transfers in, but

-the admissions department/administration has not allowed kids in without proper justification and qualifications

-so basically Gonzaga, unlike SJC, has been able to produce a solid program with occasional championships in many sports, common championships in a few others, without selling their soul?

I am not here for a founded approach. My job forces me to do that. I am here to remind folks that currently, SJC is a burning heap of trash that has produced so much smoke and stench, that their own fans and supporters cannot see through the fog and have become accustomed to the smell. I could care less about rational comments on here. I tried that the first four years this site was around... lets just say this works better and is more fun.

default avatar

2/24/2017 1:13:21 AM
@kjj348

"couldn't care less" you undereducated nit wit.   You are right, this is more fun.

default avatar

2/24/2017 8:27:02 AM
@WMAC Time

Welcome to the darkside. You are correct and that was a bad mistake; but if you are going to call someone an “undereducated nit wit,” you should probably make sure you can actually spell nitwit. 

You must login to report abuse. Close